Saturday, April 2, 2016

Penang

After a day in Kuala Lumpur, I proceeded to exploring Penang and its famed Cuisine

My friend Justin insisted I spend more time around Georgetown if food was on top of my agenda.

Reason? The best mix of Indian, Thai, Malay and Chinese descendants.

 The food was above and beyond my expectations. I have the opportunity to try various Indian meals. Tell your recipes. Traditional Malay food .... And their fusion

From Nasi lemak to the various laksa, the Indian desserts. I gained ten pounds in Georgetown, the largest city I visited in the Penang region.

The city isn't as noisy as KL. but full of history.
Divided in different quarters, with Chinese descendants making up 70% of the population, according to Ivan, my Uber driver.

The Upside Down museum was more enjoyable than I anticipated. I will be playing with those pictures for months.

The breathtaking mural paintings are a must see.
So many temples and mosques, I couldn't recommend one over the other.


From the friend Oysters on the Chinese side to my refreshing mango lemonade in Little India ( it was 94 degrees in the shade), every block offered a new culinary experience.

After walking for two hours by the sea, visiting the old Protestant cemetery , on to the streets of Little India, only to discover that the islands oldest Buddhist temple was being renovated and am accessible to the public, exhaustion got the best of me and I returned to the hotel.

Of note, an entire day was spent in bed. I still cannot explain it. I had been in Asia for 3 days. Felt well rested. Woke up early to go for a run. Had breakfast, went to the beach around 10am. Upon returning to the hotel desk, I noticed a flyer for massage therapy.
Hmmm... Why not?

Long story short , I crashed around noon, only to wake up the next day.





































It was an easy flight from Kuala Lumpur to Penang, just under an hour.
 I cannot stress enough how easy and affordable it is to drive around with Uber.
 I enjoyed my conversation with my taxi driver. He calls himself Indian, speaks Tamil at home and regrets never having been to India. So I ask him if his parents had been to India.  To reach your replies by the negative sense he reports being the fifth generation born in Malaysia. It was wonderful to notice how attached the family remains to their Indian roots language culture cuisine, generation after generation.

I reached my hotel around 9 PM and as recommended went straight to the Indian restaurant across my beachside resort .

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures! The fish on the leaf looks erotically delicious :)

    ReplyDelete